A Dental Crown (or Cap) is a covering that encases the entire crown portion of a tooth restoring it to its original shape and size. A crown protects and strengthens the tooth structure that cannot be restored with fillings or other types of restorations. It acts as a protective cover for the tooth and protects it from further damage. This protection aspect of crowns often extends the life of a tooth.
Reasons for a Dental Crown:
- Broken or fractured teeth.
- Cosmetic enhancement.
- Decayed teeth.
- Fractured fillings.
- Large fillings.
- Root canal treated tooth.
- To add needed strength to weak teeth
- Restore teeth to a natural pleasing look
- Provide covering for a dental implanD
A Dental Bridge is a fixed (non-removable) appliance that is used to replace missing teeth. As the name suggests, it forms a connection between two healthy teeth and will fill in the missing gaps with replacement tooth or teeth.
Reasons for a fixed bridge:
• Fill the space of missing teeth.
• Maintain facial shape.
• Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position.
• Restore chewing and speaking ability.
• Restore your smile.
• Will equally distribute the bite forces.
• Upgrade from a removable partial denture to a permanent dental appliance.
Veneers are very thin pieces of durable, tooth-shaped porcelain that are custom-made (for shape and color) and are placed over the tooth. They act as a corrective cover, hiding various cosmetic issues such as chips, cracks, stains and irregular shapes. They are bonded onto the front of the teeth to create a beautiful and attractive smile.
Reasons for veneers:
- Cosmetically, to create a uniform, white, beautiful smile.
- Crooked teeth.
- Misshapen teeth.
- Severely discolored or stained teeth.
- Teeth that are too small or large.
- Unwanted or uneven spaces.
- Worn or chipped teeth
TYPES OF DENTAL CROWNS
These can withstand hard chewing forces and biting. Being stronger they last longer and do not wear down easily. The only drawback is that they are visible from a distance hence, suitable only for molars.
For aesthetic concerns these are the best option available. The inside of the crown is made up of metal and the outer portion is made up of porcelain, as a result, it has the dual advantage – metal which provides strength and porcelain which matches with the color of the teeth making it look like natural teeth.
All Ceramic/Zirconia Crown
If you do not want to have metal inserted inside your mouth but want the strength to match metal crowns, then ceramic crowns are the best option available. It is not only strong but also blends more naturally with your tooth color making it unnoticed. It does not have any aesthetic concerns and is the best option for the front, back and even for the bridges. They look the most like natural teeth.